Monday, April 25, 2011

Ric's Big Backyard Festival

I hope there are more. i hope as well that the price becomes more friendly. I was there only through a ticket I won the night before. No wait, I gave that to a girl who asked nicely for it. I was the '+ 1' of a local rock personage who shall remain nameless lest his obvious lack of friends embarrasses him.

Went early to see Velociraptor. Was not disappointed.

Velociraptor - Live @ Ric's Big Back Yard Festival - 26 Mar 2011

Was there later in the evening for the last three acts

Violent Soho - Live @ Ric's Big Back Yard Festival - 26 Mar 2011

Pangaea were a hit with the crowd. A band which hasn't performed for 10 years or more had a fair contingent of front rowers singing along to every song. Hard to argue with that. I loved it. Their sense of humour and obvious fun made it easy to enjoy.
Pangaea - Live @ Ric's Big Back Yard Festival - 26 Mar 2011

You Am I are an Australian institution. The man continues to write top songs. Unfortunately when I see them I feel like I'm in a big RSL somewhere. It feels like a 'show'. I realize that at that level all acts put on a show so I guess it's just the way You Am I does it that doesn't do anything for me. Grinderman put on a show but I don't feel like there's an RSL within miles of where ever I am. Don't get me wrong, the music is great. And you will enjoy it.
You Am I - Live @ Ric's Big Back Yard Festival - 26 Mar 2011

No comments: